Director of People, DelivCA
Deliv (Menlo Park, CA)
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Deliv California is looking for a bright, curious, data-driven Director of People with a strong understanding of general human resources processes and procedures, highly skilled in compliance, excellent communication skills, and a strong work ethic. This is an opportunity to build the HR/People function from the ground up. The Director of People is the key People leader in California and will drive success through process definition, implementation and improvement, using your deep knowledge base and analytics to make our diverse and geographically dispersed employee team more effective. This role requires a high degree of cross-functional interaction with Deliv, Inc., and a willingness to work at all levels of the organization.
The candidate will conduct investigations and research in partnership with our Legal and Compliance team, works collaboratively with other members of the team, and is seen as an expert in HR. Success at Deliv California is about thriving in a fast paced work environment and being a methodical thinker who can handle a variety of situations.
What You’ll Do:
- As the first HR hire in DelivCA, build and manage its Human Resources/People function from the ground up.
- Creating, administering, and communicating HR policies, procedures and programs in areas including: Talent Acquisition, Compensation and Benefits, Employee Relations, Safety, Compliance, etc.
- The majority of your time will be focused on designing and implementing all required processes for hundreds of employee drivers including: processes for handling employee requests for employment verification, worker’s compensation, etc, collecting feedback, training and coaching for drivers to increase efficiency, state wide driver onboarding and training, and terminations- including recordkeeping.
- Develop, and provide individual and group training, including new (mostly drivers) employee recruiting, onboarding, performance reviews etc.
- Build and administer employee relations support
- Train existing team members on requirements and best practices for non-exempt workforce.
- Travel to all CA metros to meet with Delivery Drivers for onboarding, training and coaching as needed.
- Work closely with Legal to manage employee issues, reporting and disputes.
- Advise on the structure of the Driver and Driver Operations Teams.
- Review (and keep current) Employee Handbook and determine the best discipline and motivational levers to increase the retention and performance of drivers.
- Create a strong culture within the employee Driver pool to delivery customer delight, increase driver performance and decrease turnover.
- Be available during our peak season-the holidays.
Skills You’ll Need:
- Demonstrated experience with all facets of HR and compliance.
- An in-depth knowledge of legal requirements related to day-to-day management of employees, reducing legal risks and ensuring regulatory compliance and ability to drive best practices in a fast-paced high-growth environment.
- Experience building and managing organizations and optimizing resources in a lean, start-up environment and thrive in a highly unstructured environment, bringing calm, organization and leadership while balancing changing priorities.
- Ability to analyze and interpret financial and operational data to perform cost-benefit analysis to recommend best practices for your organization.
- Thrive in an uncertain and unstructured environment- we are a start up and we need you to jump in and solve issues that come up- roll up your sleeves and get it done.
- Comfortable with Data and Analytics
- Experience with managing employee issues and disputes for both exempt and non-exempt workers.
- Bay Area candidate Preferred, but not required
- Willing to Travel to other metros in CA as needed
- 7+ years of Human Resources experience with at least 4+ years in a management position
- 4+ years experience managing relationships with third party providers such as ADP, 401K Administration, etc.
- Bachelor's Degree in Human Resources or advanced degree preferred.
- SHRM-SCP, SPHR certifications
- Bonus: Previous experience working in a unionized workforce/labor unions a plus
- Bonus: You have experience in a high growth technology startup with complex people operations in multiple locations
BENEFITS & PERKS
- Competitive Salary
- Equity in fast growing startup
- Generous Parental Leave Policy
- 10 Paid Holidays
- Disrupt traditional logistics – be a part of the team creating the future of delivery and making same-day delivery ubiquitous
Join us in disrupting logistics and setting the new standard for last mile delivery, a multi-billion dollar market. We don’t sell goods and we don’t move people. We are behind the scenes of 5,000+ National omnichannel Retailers, eTailers, B2B and B2C businesses—like Albertsons/Plated, Best Buy, FreshDirect Home Depot, Macy’s, Office Depot, Peapod, and Walgreens, —transforming how goods move around a city. We’ve raised $80 million dollars with participation from UPS, General Motors, Google, Enterprise Holdings, prominent Silicon Valley VCs as well as the nation’s leading REIT (mall operator) investors.
DelivCA, a wholly owned subsidiary of Deliv, operates with 100% employee drivers. DelivCA is the first of its kind to do so in the gig economy.
This is an amazing opportunity to join a startup that is making local same day delivery ubiquitous and affordable. We’re looking for talented individuals who want to break existing rules and create the future of logistics.