Software Engineer - Route Optimization
Deliv (Menlo Park, CA)
About the Opportunity
Deliv is seeking a back-end engineer with a background in working on optimization problems to expand our fast-growing engineering team. In the role, you'll be empowered to design and develop the architecture and infrastructure of our next generation delivery routing engine. You'll be implementing complex algorithms so an eye for performance and maintainability is essential. To drive the future of our routing application you'll need knowledge of one at least one statically typed, back-end language (C, Java) and at least one scripting language (Python, Ruby).
We’re looking to fill this position out of either our Menlo Park, CA or Roswell, GA offices.
What You'll Do
- Drive the architecture of our routing application to allow fast execution, maintainable code, and enhanced customization.
- Drive the infrastructure choices to allow additional horizontal scaling of route optimization jobs.
- Work closely with our ORs to design and implement new algorithms to reduce costs and improve efficiency for our driver partners.
You have strong back-end engineering experience and exposure to solving optimization problems, and you're excited to put that experience to use solving some of the most challenges problems in the field of logistics.
- You have a passion for solving difficult problems in elegant ways.
- You're fascinated with vehicle routing problems, traveling salesman problems, or figuring out how to get that delivery from point A to point B efficiently.
- Flame graphs, valgrind and call stacks are some of your friends.
- A real teammate. Culture is critical here. We’ve all got a million things to do, but you’re happy to chip in wherever you can to help your teammates out when they’re underwater.
- Someone who recognizes the art of engineering. We like writing tests, CI, and love code quality metrics. Code reviews are awesome, and you’re always looking forward to learning something new.
What You'll Need
- 5+ years of experience in software engineering
- 3+ Production experience with a back-end language like Java, C, or C++
- 2+ Production experience with a scripting language like Python or Ruby.
- Experience implementing complex algorithms in a production environment.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Experience benchmarking applications to identify performance issues.
- Open-source projects on Github.
- Experience with location-based or other GIS-based applications.
Benefits and Perks
- Competitive Salary
- Equity in a fast growing, early stage startup
- 401k plan
- Health, Vision, and Dental Insurance
- 10 Paid Holidays
- Unlimited Vacation Policy – Work hard, take time when you need it
Join us in disrupting logistics and setting the new standard for last mile delivery, a multi billion dollar market. We don’t sell goods and we don’t move people. We are behind the scenes of 4000+ businesses - like Walmart, Macy’s, Best Buy, Walgreens, Plated, FreshDirect and Google Express - transforming how goods move around a city. We’ve raised 40+ million dollars with participation from UPS, prominent Silicon Valley VCs as well as several REIT (mall operator) investors. This is an amazing opportunity to come into a market leading start-up that is making local same-day delivery ubiquitous and affordable. We’re looking for talented individuals who want to break existing rules and create the future of logistics.